CINCINNATI— Jan. 8, 2015—Trash doesn’t wait on warm weather to be collected. It sits at the curb come rain, shine and in the case of this week, below zero temperatures. The hundreds of Rumpke drivers that will hit the streets today and tomorrow morning to help their neighbors with their waste disposal needs are taking extra precaution for working in the frigid weather and sharing their tips with you.
“The average waste and recycling driver will stop at 500 households each day, and will be in the elements for at least eight hours,” said Rumpke Safety Director Mike Puckett. “Before hitting the streets, we educate our drivers on how to prevent serious health problems like frostbite and hypothermia with some simple tips.”
- Dress in layers: Multiple layers provide better insulation than one thick layer.
- Wear waterproof clothing including boots: Damp or wet clothing dramatically increases heat loss. In addition to waterproof, drivers should wear clothing that allows perspiration to escape.
- Wear a hat: About 50 percent of body heat escapes through the head.
- Avoid caffeine: Caffeine dilates blood vessels, which increase heat loss.
- Eat warm, high-calorie foods: Eating something warm increases the sensation of being warm.
In addition to knowing how to stay warm, Rumpke also teaches drivers warning signs of cold weather related illnesses.
- Hypothermia: Low body temperature that makes it hard to move or think. Warning signs in adults include: Shivering, exhaustion, confusion, memory loss and slurred speech
- Frostbite: A loss of feeling and color to the skin, most commonly happening on the nose, ears, cheeks, chin, fingers or toes.
Rumpke Waste & Recycling has been committed to keeping neighborhoods and businesses clean and green since 1932 by providing environmentally friendly waste disposal solutions. Headquartered near Cincinnati, Rumpke is one of the nation’s largest privately owned residential and commercial waste and recycling firms, providing service to areas of Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana and West Virginia. Rumpke divisions include Rumpke Recycling, Rumpke Portable Restrooms, The William-Thomas Group, Rumpke Hydraulics and Rumpke Haul-it-Away. For more information, visit www.rumpke.com.