Rumpke awarded $19,000 in scholarships this year to students who have demonstrated academic excellence, exemplary leadership skills and a commitment to environmental stewardship. The students represented high schools and colleges throughout Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana.
This year’s winners have ambitious future goals but they have already taken actions to help protect and preserve the environment. Allison Irvin, the Rumpke Ross County Scholarship recipient, prepared lessons on the environment and conservation and presented them to elementary school children.
Building a nature trail to inspire students to explore the outdoors was an Eagle Scout project for Rumpke Family Scholarship winner, Mike Ward. Sarah Terry, a Montgomery County Landfill Scholarship recipient, recycles, carpools and limits her water usage. Because of her interest in sustainability, she plans to major in conservation and environmental biology at George Mason University in the fall.
These are just some of the outstanding students Rumpke has recognized. Below is the complete list of 2012 Rumpke scholarship recipients.
Congratulations and best of luck to all of the students.
Rumpke Sanitary Landfill Scholarship
- Cierra Smith-Mayes (Northwest High School)
Rumpke Recycling Scholarship
- Nathanael Jones (Northwest High School)
Rumpke Founders Scholarship
- Julie Metzner (Northwest High School)
- Thomas Mayar (Northwest High School)
- Danielle Reed (Northwest High School)
Rumpke Darke County Scholarship
- Sarah Carroll (Mississinawa Valley High School)
Rumpke Brown County Landfill Scholarship
- Zachary Stamper (Southern Hills Career and Technical Center)
Rumpke Pickaway County and Ross County Scholarship
- Ashley Holbrook (Teays Valley High School)
- Allison Irvin (Unioto High School)
Rumpke Richland County Scholarship
- Madeline Zupan (Mansfield St. Peter’s High School)
Rumpke Montgomery County Landfill Scholarship
- Sarah Terry (Montgomery County High School)
Rumpke Pendleton County Landfill Scholarship
- Evan Spicer (Pendleton County High School)
Rumpke Recycling Jefferson County Scholarship
- Michaela Rogers (Eastern High School)
Rumpke Medora Landfill Scholarship
- Denise Maxie (Crothersville High School)
Rumpke Family Scholarship
- Michale Adams (Eastland Career Center)
- Stephanie Bates (Xavier University)
- Dana Dorrmann (University of Cincinnati)
- Hannah King (National Trail High School)
- Mike Ward (Southeastern High School)
About the author: Anne Gray is the education specialist at Rumpke.