MEDORA, Ind.—Nov. 23, 2011—The Association of Indiana Solid Waste Management Districts
(AISWMD) has selected the Medora Landfill for an Environmental Stewardship Award for its
assistance in meeting Indiana’s solid waste management 2010‐2011 goals.
Rumpke was nominated for the award because of site improvements and its ongoing
commitment to community education and recycling opportunities.
“I am very proud of the work we are doing in Jackson County,” said Regional Vice President
Mike Nelson. “Landfill Manager Ralph Collins and his team have earned this award through
hard work and a steadfast focus on compliance and above all, environmental preservation.”
Rumpke’s accomplishments at the Medora Landfill include:
- Relocation of an unlined chrome sludge waste landfill to a newly constructed
synthetically lined landfill.
- Installation of a 3.2‐acre wetland protection area, which is available to the Jackson
County Soil and Water Conservation District and the Jackson County Solid Waste
Management District (SWMD) as an outdoor classroom.
- Construction of a 6,000‐foot riparian corridor mitigation area containing nearly 17 acres
of protected stream habitat.
- An on‐site leachate (waste water) recirculation system that has recycled more than one third of the generated leachate back into the landfill to facilitate waste decomposition.
- Construction of a truck wheel wash system to utilize recycled water from a zerodischarge
pond and minimize mud from truck tires to ensure cleaner roads.
- Tours of the landfill provided to local school and community groups to educate the
public about landfill technology.
- Appliance recycling program which shares revenue with the Jackson County SWMD.
- Support for local groups through community involvement, sponsorships and
Owned and operated by Rumpke since 1983, the Medora Landfill accepts municipal solid waste
and construction demolition debris.
Rumpke Consolidated Companies, Inc. has been committed to keeping neighborhoods and
businesses clean and green since 1932 by providing environmentally friendly waste disposal
solutions. Headquartered near Cincinnati with regional operations in Cleveland, Rumpke is
one of the nation’s largest privately owned residential and commercial waste and recycling
firms, providing service to areas of Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, and West Virginia. Rumpke
divisions include Rumpke Recycling, The William‐Thomas Group and Rumpke Hydraulics.
For more information, visit www.rumpke.com.