More than half of what is tossed into the trash doesn’t have to be discarded. We live in a disposable society, and a good portion of the items we purchase are bought just to be thrown away out of convenience. Below we have come up with a list of ways you can save money, reduce waste at home and reduce the amount of waste going into the landfill.
1. Buy in bulk instead of individual items. Buying in bulk reduces the amount of packaging compared to buying individual items like chips.
2. Use silverware and reusable plates, bowls and cups in the kitchen instead of paper and plastic products.
3. Use a reusable water bottle instead of plastic water bottles. This will save you money compared to continuously buying a bottle of water everywhere you go.
4. Have bills and bank statements emailed to you instead of mailed to you to reduce the amount of paper coming into your home.
5. Use rechargeable batteries.
6. Buy reusable bags for the grocery store or try opting for a paper bag.
7. Donate old clothes and furniture- one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.
8. Keep leftovers (and enjoy later) and store them in reusable containers.
9. Try some DIY crafts instead of throwing items away.